Subject: Re: bug#23910: [Guix Info][7.1.5] Should warn user about losing Internet or DNS connection

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:41:04 +0200

Eus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:10 PM, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

[...]

> However, in the past people reported that nscd, the name service cache
>> daemon, would sometimes fail without any good reason.  If you think that
>> is the case, then this is definitely a bug that we should be
>> addressing.
>>
>
> That is likely.

What makes you think so?

The problem we had in the past is that nscd would cache lookup failures
that happened when the Internet connection was missing, which made
subsequent lookups fail even though networking was back up:

  http://bugs.gnu.org/22209

I believe this was fixed by commit
c96ba2cf5efc0ee5c10f0a49aeaa9a45a84de7ed.

It would be great if you could check whether the problem is
reproducible, even with a stable connection.

If it is indeed reproducible, then you could try running the
installation after turning nscd off with:

  herd stop nscd

Thanks,
Ludo’.