Subject: bug#23902: 25.1.50; Strange warning on string-collate-equalp's docstring

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 17:55:16 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > I also have trouble to understand.  How can I compare file names modulo
> > collate-equality, if not with this function?
>
> With string=, of course.  (Or, better yet, with file-equal-p, but
> that's a different story.)

Does that compare mod collate-equality?

> > But we are speaking about the docstring of `string-collate-equal-p'.
> > It is not clear here how it (as an equivalence predicate) could be
> > useful for sorting at all.
>
> If it is not useful, then the issue against which the note warns
> doesn't exist, does it?

Useful for equality testing, or for comparing (and sorting)?  You speak
about the latter in the doc.  I don't understand why the doc of
`string-collate-equal-p' mentions sorting at all.  Is it useful for
that?  (not a rhetorical question but for my understanding of the
current text)

Thanks,

Michael.