Subject: bug#23896: ls incorrectly shows quotes when listing file names with spaces

From: Shamim Islam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:11:05 -0400

Description of problem:
Terminal sessions display quotes for files with spaces in them. This is
non-intuitive behavior. The file name does not have quotes unless quotes
have been used in the filename. The coreutil ls has been updated to default
to this new behavior. This behavior should not be foisted on users but
users should be allowed to choose whether they want to OPT IN. Debian and
Ubuntu distros have already reverted.

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable):
coreutils-8.25-5.fc24.x86_64

How reproducible:
Fresh install of Fedora 24. All the time.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. > "File with spaces.txt"
2. ls

Actual results:
'File with spaces.txt'

Expected results:
File with spaces.txt

Additional info:
This is a core expectation. The filename we see should be the same as the
filename in use. We do not require additional tools to help us identify
what is a complete filename and what is not. ESPECIALLY in the terminal
session where the user is expected to be versant in POSIX. If the user
needs hand-holding, they can use the GUI tools like Dolphin or Konqueror.
Note - neither of these tools shows 'quotes' around files with space in the
name. Neither does Windows. Neither does Mac OS.

Please revert. Please instruct coreutils developers to revert. Please set
any defaults required to not show the quotes. The user should not have to
discover there is no error.

E.g. I downloaded an MP3 file today with spaces. I saw the single quotes
and immediately thought there was a problem in firefox naming the file on
download.

This is insane.