Subject: Re: bug#23896: ls incorrectly shows quotes when listing file names with spaces

From: Assaf Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:25:22 -0700

Hello,

On 2016-07-05 3:20 a.m., Ruediger Meier wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2016, Pádraig Brady wrote:
>> On 04/07/16 19:11, Shamim Islam wrote:
>>> Description of problem:
>>> Terminal sessions display quotes for files with spaces in them.
>>> This is non-intuitive behavior. The file name does not have quotes
>>> unless quotes have been used in the filename. The coreutil ls has
>>> been updated to default to this new behavior. This behavior should
>>> not be foisted on users but users should be allowed to choose
>>> whether they want to OPT IN. Debian and Ubuntu distros have already
>>> reverted.
>>>

We created a summary of common issues and FAQs
regarding the quoting change in ls(1):
   https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/quotes.html

If there is an issue that is not addressed there,
please send an email to [email-masked] .

regards,
  - assaf