Subject: bug#23893: 24.5; Emacs vfork error

From: Jim Hurt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 10:38:32 -0500

Several days ago, while using Emacs to edit LaTeX files, while
successfully editing one such file I tried to open another, and got the
message:

File mode specification error: (file-error "Doing vfork" "Resource 
temporarily unavailable")

I have tried doing a rebaseall, setting the rebase switch then updating
cygwin, and uninstalling then reinstallin cygwin, all to no avail.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
  of 2015-06-23 on desktop-new
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.3.9600
Configured using:
  `configure
  --srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.i686/src/emacs-24.5
  --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
  --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C
  --with-w32 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declaration
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.i686/build=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-2
  -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.5-2.i686/src/emacs-24.5=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.5-2'
  CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS='

Important settings:
   locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
<C-mouse-1> is undefined
agenda.txt has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Saving file /cygdrive/c/Users/Jim/Documents/Enventive/EnCSDocs/agenda.txt...
Wrote /cygdrive/c/Users/Jim/Documents/Enventive/EnCSDocs/agenda.txt
No docstring slot for tex-start-shell
File mode specification error: (file-error "Doing vfork" "Resource 
temporarily unavailable")
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode vc-dispatcher dbus xml crm advice
help-fns easymenu tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint ansi-color
ring latexenc vc-hg paren cus-start cus-load tex-site auto-loads
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 100208 12310)
  (symbols 24 20179 0)
  (miscs 20 77 246)
  (strings 16 18564 6699)
  (string-bytes 1 468589)
  (vectors 8 17875)
  (vector-slots 4 1237224 22786)
  (floats 8 81 659)
  (intervals 28 344 221)
  (buffers 512 15))

-- 
Jim Hurt's Enventive Signature File

   Jim Hurt
[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>

	Enventive Engineering <http://www.enventive.com/>
   861 George Hill Road
   P.O. Box 209
   South Lancaster, MA 01561

   Phone: (978) 365-7458
   Fax: (978) 365-2876
   General information: [email-masked] 	
This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient 
and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not 
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of 
the information included in this message and any attachments is 
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please 
notify us by reply e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this 
message and any attachments. Thank you.