Subject: bug#23857: Emacs 25.0.94: Info-read-node-name fails outside of Info buffers; patch to fix included

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 14:22:47 +0200

Robert Weiner <[email-masked]> writes:

> Info-read-node-name is useful even when the current buffer is not an
> Info buffer because it can be used to specify a file from which to read
> Info node name completions, e.g. if you want to produce a link within an
> Emacs Lisp file to a specific Info node.

(Info-read-node-name "(File)Node: ")
=> "Top	This is the top of the INFO tree"

It seems like a very mode-specific function to me...

[...]

> ! (condition-case nil
> !    (Info-build-node-completions-1)
> !  (error nil)))))

And just catching all errors isn't a good way to solve these things,
because it may be covering up other errors we want to catch.

Given both these things, I don't think this is a good idea, and I'm
closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no