Subject: bug#23855: --no-substitutes still triggers update to list of substitutes

From: Troy Sankey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:37:27 -0400

Package: guix
Version: 0.10.0

I'm not totally sure about this, but my assertion is that the list of
substitutes should not be updated if --no-substitutes is present on the command
line.  However, guix version 0.10.0 fails my assertion.  

Example output:

  $ guix package --dry-run --no-substitutes -i st
  warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
  substitute: warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
  substitute: updating list of substitutes from 'http://hydra.gnu.org'... 100.0%
  The following package would be installed:
     st   0.6     /gnu/store/fsnk8lc7j1w20id5hfssmd8cv9z8g1na-st-0.6
  
  The following derivations would be built:
     /gnu/store/59560f3snqnxgn991kq9wlsap6yp2p0q-profile.drv
     /gnu/store/hnnc1n5z6f4qv6q0i04fny1725g633b5-info-dir.drv
     /gnu/store/f0nlagyzpyhykhn752gv5jv71fm74msx-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
     /gnu/store/lc6wxgz6m521zamdjb0kmd86rhn3l0jh-liberation-fonts-ttf-2.00.1.tar.gz.drv
     /gnu/store/lh56wp7v0w6xbga9rc19fp236ii1jjlf-libXfixes-5.0.1.tar.bz2.drv
     /gnu/store/iqi33bhmydkjk47ib4hykp9hx5dgv91x-libXcomposite-0.4.4.tar.bz2.drv
     /gnu/store/1d5zjlry87gcmbmwqj69jjkpfmr1kyin-compositeproto-0.4.2.drv
     /gnu/store/50mqcf0nhmyp6l94iy7yif1wzw0mbx1s-fixesproto-5.0.drv
     /gnu/store/6alkhqglqns5a8y4zk750bdbn6gwyk6p-st-0.6.tar.gz.drv
     /gnu/store/a80b8rqkagg7qwnhpy75vnam3pvh8x1r-libxcomposite-0.4.4.drv
     /gnu/store/cj2yqxm365qbx6kww46913i7s27jyhaf-libxfixes-5.0.1.drv
     /gnu/store/sz9n1mx93c5s7mvz90my8072xq68xa43-font-liberation-2.00.1.drv
     /gnu/store/1jlmi4y2yszzdpjsw3qcbq9073ma938k-st-0.6.drv
     /gnu/store/2l5l3vx61i287c4sq1ds4g68r2dsmzaa-st-0.6.drv

  $ guix --version
  warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
  guix (GNU Guix) 0.10.0
  Copyright (C) 2016 the Guix authors
  License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
  This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
  There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Note the line which contains "substitute: updating list of substitutes [...]".

Guix 0.10.0 is the version I get when I run `guix package -i guix`.

Thanks,
Troy