Subject: bug#23831: 25.0.95; face Info-quoted is not displayed on Redhat 6.6

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 13:10:35 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> I'm calling from "emacs -Q" the info system with `C-h i' and any
>> character in Info between quotes are just displayed with a rectangular
>> box.  I'm compiling Emacs on an elderly RHEL at work.  What can I do to
>> enable Emacs to display the info files in a readable way?
>
> I think you want to customize the variable 'text-quoting-style'.

That doesn't make any difference to this issue. This does:

(eval-after-load "info" '(copy-face 'default 'Info-quoted))

One final try to repeat my comments from bug#19889 and 22207:

Viewing Info files is an important part of Emacs. I think it is a
mistake to break the rendering of them in this way, even if it's only on
a small fraction of systems, for the sake of a very minor (and IMO
arguable; cf http://debbugs.gnu.org/19889#115: "an ugly font") cosmetic
improvement on the rest.

Please make Info-quoted face inherit from either default or
font-lock-string (on emacs-25, the situation is somewhat better on
master).