Subject: Re: bug#23827: 25.1.50; tab-width file-local variable has no effect in etc/HELLO

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jun 2016 17:17:22 -0000

Hello, Leo.

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> On 2016-06-24 16:09 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> I rather think a buffer made by `with-temp-buffer' will run
>> `hack-local-variables', but since there will never be a local variables
>> section in the new buffer, what are we worrying about?

> Did you forget dir-local variables?

I rather think I did.  ;-)  But remembering them now, and looking them up
in the manual, dir-local variables are only applied to file buffers when
they are in the pertinent directory.  A `with-temp-buffer' buffer
shouldn't be in any directory, hence shouldn't get any dir-locals.

That's the theory, anyway.

And even if a temp-buffer did somehow belong to a directory, what harm
will it do if it gets the `fundamental-mode' variables?  Probably not
much.

> Leo

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).