Subject: bug#23827: 25.1.50; tab-width file-local variable has no effect in etc/HELLO

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 16:09:27 +0000

Hello, Stefan and Eli.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 10:27:06AM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > So you suggest to have a variable whose value could bypass calling
> > fundamental-mode, and bind that variable inside with-temp-buffer and
> > such likes?

> Actually, not really, I was rather asking whether this change would
> cause with-temp-buffer to run hack-local-variables.

I've installed the patch into master.

I rather think a buffer made by `with-temp-buffer' will run
`hack-local-variables', but since there will never be a local variables
section in the new buffer, what are we worrying about?

> If it does, then I think that's an undesirable side-effect and we
> should try and find some way around it

Why?

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).