Subject: bug#23801: 25.0.95; term.el redraws extremely slow with bidi support enabled, and large buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 19:26:18 +0300

> From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 22:04:38 +1200
> 
> This is a spin-off from bug#20611: 24.4; mutt slow in ansi-term.
> 
> I'm logging a new bug report by request, although it seems to me that
> this is still the same bug (and 20611 is still open), so I suggest that
> they can both be closed together once a fix is committed?
> 
> I've experimented further with this issue since my comments in 20611,
> and my current observations follow...

Thanks.

My problem is that I don't see these slow redraws.  I tried in a TTY
session on a GNU/Linux system, using "ls ~" as the command inside
term-mode (my home directory on that system produces a 1500-line list
of files).  I don't see slow redraws, and don't see any perceptible
speed-up when I set bidi-paragraph-direction to left-to-right.

Can you reproduce the problem using 'ls'?