Subject: bug#23796: closed (bug 23796 closed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 18:17:02 +0000

Your bug report

#23796: Emacs daemon doesn't properly reload symlinked themes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
23796: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23796
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: bug 23796 closed
From: Koen van Greevenbroek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 11:16:26 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug is closed.

Subject: Emacs daemon doesn't properly reload symlinked themes
From: Koen van Greevenbroek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 11:22:50 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey!

I am trying to change the Emacs theme on the fly, so I symlinked the
~/.emacs.d/my-theme.el file to a ~/current-theme/my-theme.el files, and
the ~/current-theme directory is in turn symlinked to whatever theme I like
at the moment. Then, I run "emacs --daemon", and open an emacsclient
frame with "emacsclient -c". This works as expected. However, when I
relink ~/current-theme to some other theme and then evaluate
"(load-file ~/.emacs)" in an emacsclient to reload the theme for the emacs
daemon, it reload the theme for any emacsclient frames currently open,
but not for subsequently opened emacsclient frames. So emacsclient
frames opened after a symlink theme change and (load-file ~/.emacs) do
not actually use the new theme.

I experienced this on my main laptop, but also managed to reproduce it in
a minimal setup in a virtual machine. I hope you have time to take a look at
this, and let me know if you need any more information.

-----------------------------------------

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-06-04 on juergen
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias mailclient browse-url cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
cl-loaddefs cl-lib pp shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message
idna format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
easymenu server time-date my-theme tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 104066 14117)
 (symbols 48 19670 0)
 (miscs 40 89 210)
 (strings 32 15546 3860)
 (string-bytes 1 409883)
 (vectors 16 11334)
 (vector-slots 8 407677 6562)
 (floats 8 84 151)
 (intervals 56 1137 16)
 (buffers 960 17)
 (heap 1024 21212 1781))