Subject: Fwd: Fwd: bug#23789: Emacs 25.0.94: Patch to make sort-lines respect visible lines (fairly urgent)

From: Robert Weiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2017 00:00:11 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: bug#23789: Emacs 25.0.94: Patch to make sort-lines
respect visible lines (fairly urgent)
To: [email-masked]

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > I think the old behavior was only correct for Outline mode in SOME
  > > cases.  Not in all cases.  Likewise for the new behavior.

  > Can you list the cases you think exist and how you think each should
  > be handled?

When the first line of some substructure is visible and the rest of
that substructure is hidden, it seems to make sense to sort the
substructure with the first line.

However, if there are two substructures at the same level
and they are both invisible, it does not seem right for them
to stick together in sorting.

I have a feeling that sort-lines doesn't really make sense for an
outline, and other operations are needed for sorting in outlines.
But I am not sure of that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.