Subject: Re: [PATCH] * lisp/bindings.el: create binding for‘cycle-spacing’

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 00:16:33 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Michal Nazarewicz wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of a way to poll users.  If there is one established, let
>> me know.
>
> For the traditional method see eg
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-06/msg00031.html
>
> People are supposed to say _why_ they vote as they do.
>
> Please include an option along the lines of "polling users on matters
> like this isn't productive" (I am genuinely interested in the % of
> people who would prefer we just get on with things).

Change first, complain later?  Happens often enough and the ensuing
complaints are rarely supportive of the approach.

> Have fun fighting for your one-line change...

Most meaningful polls are for one-line changes, since polls make sense
only when there are incompatible viable options, and Emacs can usually
be made to support either at the user's choice.  Then all that remains
is the choice of a meaningful default.

Which is typically selected from the provided options with a single
setting, more often than not effected by a single line.

-- 
David Kastrup