Subject: bug#23787: [PATCH] * lisp/bindings.el: create binding for ‘cycle-spacing’

From: Michal Nazarewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 23:13:45 +0200

>> ‘cycle-spacing’ behaves like ‘just-one-space’ when invoked once so
>> binding it to M-SPC should not be (very) destructive to users.
>> 
>> When this change has been propesed back in 2014¹, the main concern
>> was that back then the function behaved a bit differently from the
>> old one in certain situations.  This has since been changed by a
>> [687e0e1: “Make ‘cycle-spacing’ behave more like ‘just-one-space’
>> if colled once.”] commit.

On Fri, Jun 17 2016, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> That's not the only concern that was brought up back then.  It was
> suggested to poll users.

I’m not aware of a way to poll users.  If there is one established, let
me know.

Best I can do is Google a little and find people binding M-SPC to
‘cycle-spacing’:

* http://pragmaticemacs.com/emacs/cycle-spacing/
* https://github.com/purcell/emacs.d/blob/master/lisp/init-whitespace.el
* https://github.com/rnkn/.emacs.d/blob/master/lisp/init-keys.el
* https://twitter.com/sachac/status/542156450047352835

Further down search result pages, there are people who don’t care much
for or are not convinced about the command but for obvious reasons
finding someone who would oppose changing the binding is rather tricky.

-- 
Best regards
ミハウ “𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓪86” ナザレヴイツ
«If at first you don’t succeed, give up skydiving»