Subject: bug#23786: 25.0.95 and 24.5: NS variants both scroll too much

From: Toon Claes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 21:55:31 +0200

Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello!

Hi Pete,

> all scroll too much when I use the extra Bluetooth trackpad of an iMac
> (27“, Late 2013) instead of the Mighty Mouse.

Is it a Magic Trackpad, or a Magic Trackpad 2 with Force Touch?
I use the latter on a daily basis. But I have an old one laying around
somewhere. I also have a Magic Mouse. But you are using a Mighty Mouse,
aren't you?

> Yes. The default setting for the mouse could be a bit improved, using
> the suggestions of Jiajie Chen – I am usually not working with mice –
> because it scrolls a bit too fast, but by far not that fast as the
> trackpad.

I also did not know about those settings, thanks a bunch Jiajie Chen.
These settings feel a lot more natural, so maybe we should consider
changing the defaults (although I actually never scroll with mouse in
Emacs).

> Is there a way to find out on the command line the preferences set for
> mouse and trackpad? Maybe it would help determine the cause for my bug
> report.

Mac OS X has the `defaults` tool to read/write settings from the command
line. For example on my machine:

$ defaults read -g | grep mouse

    "com.apple.mouse.scaling" = "2.5";

$ defaults read -g | grep trackpad
    "com.apple.trackpad.forceClick" = 1;
    "com.apple.trackpad.scaling" = "1.5";

Regards,
Toon