Subject: bug#23783: Minor feature fixes and enhancements [Was: bug#23783: Emacs 25: Changing font-lock-maximum-decoration doesn't work.]

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 05:34:51 +0300

> Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 20:03:05 +0000
> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
> 
> > In general, I find that lately we make too frequently the mistake of
> > messing with low-level infrastructure for some marginal improvement,
> > and then have to invest/waste lots of time and releases to deal with
> > the fallout of unintended consequences, broken use cases, etc.  I
> > intend to object to such changes in the future.  This seems just such
> > a case: a minor annoyance whose "fixing" runs a very real risk of
> > breaking a lot of important functionalities.
> 
> I'd ask you to consider things very carefully indeed before adopting
> such a policy.

I did.

> I don't think we should stop making these small improvements.

This is not about small improvements per se.  This is about minor
improvements that are implemented by non-trivial changes in basic
functionality.  I think we've had enough incidents of this kind to be
able to draw conclusions for future development.