Subject: 24.5; gnutls.c error with package.el and GNU elpa as archive

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:03:22 +0200

I have upgraded to xubuntu 16.04 and I have an error:

gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.

when using `("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/") as entry`
for `package-archives`, I haven't this error on xubuntu 14.04, I have no
error with https+melpa.
When removing `gnu` archive from `package-archives` the error disapear.
So it seems https is no more supported for GNU elpa with latest ubuntu.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit)
 of 2016-06-17 on dell-14z
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure CFLAGS=-O3 --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-dbus --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-gutter-mode: t
  git-gutter-mode: t
  eldoc-in-minibuffer-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  psession-mode: t
  helm-descbinds-mode: t
  helm-top-poll-mode: t
  helm-push-mark-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-adaptive-mode: t
  helm-popup-tip-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/thierry/.emacs.d/emacs-config/.git/COMMIT_EDITMSG
Git finished
(No files need saving)
Git finished
Type C-h i to view popup manual, ? to describe an argument or action.
Running git push -v origin master:refs/heads/master
(No files need saving)
Running git push -v origin master:refs/heads/master
Git finished
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/zoom-window-20160527.738/zoom-window hides ~/elisp/zoom-window
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/emamux-20160602.653/emamux hides ~/elisp/emamux
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20160610.1745/markdown-mode hides ~/elisp/markdown-mode
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/esh-toggle-2.0/esh-toggle hides ~/elisp/esh-toggle
/home/thierry/.emacs.d/elpa/boxquote-20081011.1326/boxquote hides ~/elisp/boxquote
~/elisp/google-maps hides ~/elisp/google-maps.el/google-maps
~/elisp/auctex/lpath hides ~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath

Features:
(shadow epa-mail emacsbug helm-command conf-mode helm-firefox diary-lib
diary-loaddefs solar cal-dst holidays hol-loaddefs mule-util cal-move
linum helm-ls-git vc vc-dispatcher vc-git naquadah-theme em-unix em-term
term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist em-pred em-glob
em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias tv-utils powerline
powerline-separators color powerline-themes windmove benchmark-init
toc-org ert ewoc debug elp markdown-mode preview-latex tex-site
auto-loads addressbook-bookmark mu4e-config org-mu4e helm-mu
mu4e-contrib mu4e desktop frameset mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe mu4e-main mu4e-context mu4e-view mu4e-headers
mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail
mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc mu4e-utils mu4e-lists
mu4e-vars hl-line cl mu4e-meta config-w3m w3m-search w3m doc-view
jka-compr image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util git-gutter cus-edit
wid-edit ange-ftp xdvi-search eldoc-eval undo-tree diff magit-blame
magit-stash magit-bisect magit-remote magit-commit epa epg
magit-sequence magit esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc
esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util magit-apply
magit-wip magit-log magit-diff derived pcase smerge-mode diff-mode
magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify magit-process
magit-popup magit-mode help-mode magit-git crm magit-section magit-utils
git-commit log-edit message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader pcvs-util add-log with-editor tramp-sh
server dash xmodmap pcomplete-extension pcmpl-unix pcmpl-gnu psession
iterator iedit iedit-lib dired-extension org-config-thierry ob-sh
org-crypt org-annotation-helper org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs finder-inf init-helm-thierry
helm-descbinds helm-sys popup helm-ring helm-elisp helm-eval edebug
eldoc helm-mode helm-files image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete format-spec dired-x ffap helm-buffers
helm-elscreen helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info bookmark
pp helm-locate helm-grep wgrep-helm wgrep grep helm-regexp helm-plugin
helm-external helm-net xml url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap
helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm helm-source helm-multi-match
helm-lib helm-extensions-autoloads helm-config helm-autoloads
helm-easymenu async-bytecomp dired-async dired-aux dired async net-utils
time winner w3m-wget wget wget-sysdep cmake-mode thingatpt rx
autotest-mode autoconf-mode sh-script smie executable ps-print ps-def
lpr rst compile comint ring image-file savehist paren woman man
ansi-color cl-macs gv ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult
ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff browse-url advice help-fns
mb-depth edmacro kmacro use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core slime-autoloads
info easymenu package epg-config time-date avoid cus-start cus-load
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process gfilenotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 602613 200697)
 (symbols 48 56861 0)
 (miscs 40 613 1821)
 (strings 32 153020 103133)
 (string-bytes 1 4536672)
 (vectors 16 58884)
 (vector-slots 8 1624212 237922)
 (floats 8 2367 1826)
 (intervals 56 2276 754)
 (buffers 960 80)
 (heap 1024 79448 11721))

-- 
Thierry