Subject: bug#23781: 25.0.95; read-string with HIST lexically bound

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 20:55:25 -0400

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Noam Postavsky
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Updated patch to remove that sentence.

I messed up the patch (the change got combined with unrelated commit).
Here's a corrected one.
From a669e69972cf6bcb9845a06a2427034b8bd18c0b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:39:24 -0400
Subject: [PATCH v3] Clarify lexical binding with symbol args behavior

* doc/lispref/variables.texi (Lexical Binding): Clarify that symbol
arguments always refer to dynamic values (Bug #23781).  Remove mention
of obsolete restriction regarding lexical binding for defun and
defmacro, this no longer applies since 61b108cc 2012-05-29 "*
lisp/emacs-lisp/byte-run.el (defmacro, defun): Move from C...".
---
 doc/lispref/variables.texi | 14 ++++++++------
 1 file changed, 8 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/variables.texi b/doc/lispref/variables.texi
index 6c53e9b..a2d6481 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/variables.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/variables.texi
@@ -974,7 +974,7 @@ Lexical Binding
 
 @cindex lexical environment
   Here is how lexical binding works.  Each binding construct defines a
-@dfn{lexical environment}, specifying the symbols that are bound
+@dfn{lexical environment}, specifying the variables that are bound
 within the construct and their local values.  When the Lisp evaluator
 wants the current value of a variable, it looks first in the lexical
 environment; if the variable is not specified in there, it looks in
@@ -1032,11 +1032,13 @@ Lexical Binding
 time we evaluate the closure, it increments @code{x}, using the
 binding of @code{x} in that lexical environment.
 
-  Note that functions like @code{symbol-value}, @code{boundp}, and
-@code{set} only retrieve or modify a variable's dynamic binding
-(i.e., the contents of its symbol's value cell).  Also, the code in
-the body of a @code{defun} or @code{defmacro} cannot refer to
-surrounding lexical variables.
+  Note that unlike dynamic variables which are tied to the symbol
+object itself, the relationship between lexical variables and symbols
+is only present in the interpreter (or compiler).  Therefore,
+functions which take a symbol argument (like @code{symbol-value},
+@code{boundp}, and @code{set}) can only retrieve or modify a
+variable's dynamic binding (i.e., the contents of its symbol's value
+cell).
 
 @node Using Lexical Binding
 @subsection Using Lexical Binding
-- 
2.8.0