Subject: Re: bug#23781: 25.0.95; read-string with HIST lexically bound

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 00:07:17 +0200

On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 15:46:38 -0400 Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So can we agree on this updated wording? (as shown in attached patch)
>
>        Note that unlike dynamic variables which are tied to the symbol
>     object itself, the relationship between lexical variables and
>     symbols is only present in the interpreter (or compiler).
>     Therefore, functions which take a symbol argument (like
>     ‘symbol-value’, ‘boundp’, and ‘set’) can only retrieve or modify a
>     variable’s dynamic binding (i.e., the contents of its symbol’s
>     value cell).  Also, the code in the body of a ‘defun’ or
>     ‘defmacro’ cannot refer to surrounding lexical variables.

This sounds clearer to me, thanks.

> Should it be updated any further? (if yes, please reply with concrete proposals)

I don't feel competent enough to judge that; however, Drew pointed out
that the `(elisp) Variables' node I quoted from earlier and other places
in the manual haven't been updated for lexical binding.  Anyway, these
questions would be more properly assigned to a separate bug report.

Steve Berman