Subject: Re: bug#23781: 25.0.95; read-string with HIST lexically bound

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 19:01:51 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Michael Heerdegen
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> AFAICT this is expected and not specific to `read-string': A quoted
> symbol can never refer to a lexical binding - and `symbol-value' or
> `eval' always return the dynamic binding.

Right, it's sort of hinted at in the elisp manual (11.9.3 Lexical Binding):

    Note that functions like ‘symbol-value’, ‘boundp’, and ‘set’ only
    retrieve or modify a variable’s dynamic binding (i.e., the
    contents of its symbol’s value cell).

I think we should be a little more specific, not
just give examples, something like:

    Note that functions which take a symbol argument (like
    ‘symbol-value’, ‘boundp’, and ‘set’) can only retrieve or modify a
    variable’s dynamic binding (i.e., the contents of its symbol’s
    value cell).

Sort of releated: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21185