Subject: 24.5; python.el Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

From: Steven Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:33:42 -0400

If you type 'a = [' followed by ENTER into a buffer in python mode,
you'll get the error message:

    Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.4.0)
 of 2015-08-11 on yosemitevm.local
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.5/share/info/emacs --with-xml2
 --without-dbus --without-gnutls --without-x --without-ns'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
test.py has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Can't guess python-indent-offset, using defaults: 4
python-indent--calculate-indentation: Wrong type argument:
number-or-marker-p, nil

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils python easymenu json comint regexp-opt
ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib ansi-color xterm time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 80490 4482)
 (symbols 48 17520 0)
 (miscs 40 34 102)
 (strings 32 12074 4201)
 (string-bytes 1 361311)
 (vectors 16 8354)
 (vector-slots 8 345768 23301)
 (floats 8 52 514)
 (intervals 56 157 0)
 (buffers 960 12))