Subject: bug#23761: 25.0.94; Gnus wont exit when .newsrc.eld file is modified externally

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 13:24:21 -0400

Hi,

        I ran Gnus in two different instances one of which was
        running undisturbed for over a week.

        When I went to exit it, if, of course, warned me:

/home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld was updated externally after Thu 02 Jun 2016
04:26:45 AM EDT, save? (y or n) n

         I type "n" to not save the state file and "y" to continue
         exiting Gnus anyway and recieved the error:
         
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn’t save /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld: updated externally")
  signal(error ("Couldn’t save /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld: updated externally"))
  error("Couldn't save %s: updated externally" "/home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld")
  gnus-save-newsrc-file()
  gnus-group-exit()
  funcall-interactively(gnus-group-exit)
  call-interactively(gnus-group-exit nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-group-exit)

        Gnus did not exit and rremained in the *Group* buffer.

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-05-18 built on copr-builder-587584625.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...done
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
/home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld was updated externally after Thu 02 Jun 2016 04:26:45 AM EDT, save? (y or n) n
Entering debugger...
funcall-interactively: Beginning of buffer
Mark set
Overwrite mode enabled in current buffer

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(apropos edebug smerge-mode diff-mode easy-mmode ediff-ptch ediff-merg
ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util ediff
gnus-draft canlock edmacro kmacro nnregistry gnus-registry registry
eieio-compat eieio-base gnus-eform macros jka-compr debug mh-utils
gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus mh-e mh-compat mh-acros mh-buffers
mh-loaddefs nnagent nnml misearch multi-isearch shadow emacsbug pp
mailalias smtpmail sendmail thingatpt eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe find-func shr-color color gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color shr dom subr-x browse-url mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive timezone
url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder
network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs url-vars json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cconv gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv
sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader
gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 540527 743588)
 (symbols 48 128366 43)
 (miscs 40 470 2409)
 (strings 32 175814 13472)
 (string-bytes 1 7615982)
 (vectors 16 48226)
 (vector-slots 8 1871981 221343)
 (floats 8 698 3198)
 (intervals 56 34672 89)
 (buffers 976 136)
 (heap 1024 116902 804423))