Subject: Re: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 21:45:24 +0300

On 06/19/2016 09:30 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

> Bear in mind that 25.2 can be released as soon after as we want it to. If
> anything is "optional" at this point in time, it should be deferred.

Let's apply the few outstanding patches and release 25.2 the next day, then?

Traditionally, releases are separated by at least several months, even 
ones with no big changes.

> We shouldn't try to race anything into the release, just because we think
> users will then have to live with some minor inferior behavior for a long time
> after. The description above certainly does not sound like something that
> needs to be happen for 25.1.

Just to be clear: the patch doesn't change the behavior of any working 
code. It just catches a particular kind of bug earlier than it would 
manifest through a cryptic behavior.

Behavior which is non-trivial to debug, and thus adds to the already 
non-trivial effort required of a person writing an advanced language 
support code (using an external daemon talking over HTTP is fairly 
common for this these days).