Subject: bug#23750: 25.0.95; bug in url-retrieve or json.el

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 13:49:10 -0700

>>>>> Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Most bugs fixed in master are marked "fixed in 25.2" (since that is what
> master is announcing itself as being the forerunner to), so that doesn't
> make much sense, I'm afraid.
> 
> Which is what Glenn is telling us, once again. I really don't understand why
> master hasn't been changed to say that it's the forerunner to 26.1.

The last time we had our long discussion about what the various branches mean,
the conclusion was that emacs-25 is for the next release, and master is for
all other work.

Most people did NOT want master to be toward the next release (25.2), as that
leaves nowhere for changes meant for 26 only.

However, this also leaves nowhere for fixes to go that are only for 25.2. But
since no additional branches were desired, the compromise was that both types
of changes will go into master, and we will be backport certain changes into
emacs-25 toward 25.2 after the release.

Marking a bug as "fixed in 25.2" seems wrong to me, because it implies a
guarantee that the fix will get cherry picked into emacs-25 after 25.1 is
released, although I highly doubt this will happen for every such fix. There
is just too much work to be done.

What we should do is mark every commit intended for 25.2 in a way that lets us
find them all automatically after the release, with a link to the bugs they
fix so that we can safely state "fixed in 25.2". Since this hasn't happened, I
imagine it will be a very manual process, and will be missing several of those
fixes.

This is why I personally argued for 3 branches, but it's not what the people
doing the real work wanted, so this is what we have.

After 25.1, we'll just have to see what happens to emacs-25 and to the
bug-tracker. I imagine several of the "fixed in 25.2" bugs will need to be
adjusted to "fixed in 26.1".

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2