Subject: Re: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:04:23 +0900

>>>>> On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:25:17 -0500, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> said:

>> What do you think about the dead-key behavior in the Carbon port
>> (Emacs 22)?  If it is reasonable enough, maybe the Cocoa/GNUstep
>> port can adopt its strategy.

> Not knowing exactly how it's called, and not having the time to try
> and understand all thedetails, I'm not sure I understand what are
> the differences.  Could you try and explain what are the
> differences?  I see various "unimportant" details (such as the use
> of a display property or an overlay in order to avoid directly
> modifying the actual text), which might be good to integrate indeed,
> but what about the overall behavior, is it different?  E.g. what
> happens (with your code) when the user hits a dead-^ in a Gnus
> buffer?

> I get the impression that it ends up behaving like the current
> ns-win.el code (i.e. nothing is run after ^, but the Gnus command is
> called after ^+SPC), except that it displays a "^" in the Gnus
> buffer rather than signalling an error.  Is that right?

That's right.  But I don't think the difference is so unimportant with
respect to the current issue.

Also, the difference in the code length shows how the Cocoa/GNUstep
port oversimplifies the whole text input processing: it doesn't
respect attributes in the marked text (which corresponds to text
properties) or the selected range value.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]