Subject: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: Harald Maier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:30:50 +0100

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:56:18 +0100, Harald Maier <[email-masked]> said:
>
>>> Oh, I get it: so hitting ^ doesn't do anything, but hitting ^ SPC
>>> does trigger the Gnus command bount to ^.  Yes, that makes sense.
>>> We could supposedly improve this to actually make ^ call the proper
>>> Gnus command directly, but the patch doesn't try to do that.
>
>> On a German keyboard this behaviour would be confusing. ^ is a dead
>> key so we always use the SPACE key to force it. It should be similar
>> to the X11 build and there I have too to press the SPACE character
>> to force the dead key. As David mentioned the only small problem is
>> the "buffer read only" warning.
>
> What do you think about the dead-key behavior in the Carbon port
> (Emacs 22)?  If it is reasonable enough, maybe the Cocoa/GNUstep port
> can adopt its strategy.

That works but I don't like it. My preference is as in the X11 build. 

I see now that the caret character (^) as dead key in the X11 build also
makes some problem. E.g. "C-c ^" (org-sort).

Harald