Subject: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: Harald Maier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 05:56:18 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>>>> What happens after the patch below?
>>>> The patch makes "^" bindings work in Gnus. Thanks!
>>> Now I didn't expect that.  I guess that's good, tho.
>> Hitting ^+space works. I'd say that's good. :-)
>
> Oh, I get it: so hitting ^ doesn't do anything, but hitting ^ SPC
> does trigger the Gnus command bount to ^.
> Yes, that makes sense.  We could supposedly improve this to actually
> make ^ call the proper Gnus command directly, but the patch doesn't try
> to do that.

On a German keyboard this behaviour would be confusing. ^ is a dead key
so we always use the SPACE key to force it. It should be similar to the
X11 build and there I have too to press the SPACE character to force the
dead key. As David mentioned the only small problem is the "buffer read
only" warning.

Harald