Subject: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:05:45 +0900

>>>>> On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 09:25:59 -0400, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> said:

>>> It still leaves open the question of whether it would be desirable
>>> to shortcut this so that pressing ^ in the Gnus summary
>>> immediately calls the Gnus command, without having to press a
>>> subsequent SPC.
>> Besides a matter of taste, the marked text (corresponding to
>> preedit in XIM) is not necessarily identical to the pressed key
>> (e.g., Japanese input methods).
>>>> Also, the difference in the code length shows how the
>>>> Cocoa/GNUstep port oversimplifies the whole text input
>>>> processing: it doesn't respect attributes in the marked text
>>>> (which corresponds to text properties) or the selected range
>>>> value.
>>> I don't know what is "the marked text" nor what is "the selected
>>> range value".
>> They are in the Cocoa NSTextInput terminology.  The "marked text"
>> corresponds to "preedit" in XIM as above or "active input" in
>> Carbon TSM.  I don't know why the Cocoa/GNUstep port call it
>> "working text".  The "selected range" represents the caret position
>> in the marked text.

> I don't know what "preedit" or "caret" are either :-(

"Preedit" is an intermediate text.  It is used for showing partial
result of composition.  In Japanese input methods, it is also used for
showing phonetic characters to be converted to ideographic characters,
or the current selection of ideographic characters among homonyms.

The "caret" corresponds to the cursor and it represents the current
insertion/deletion point in the preedit text.  For example, one can
erase a phonetic character in the middle of the preedit text before
the phonetic-to-ideographic (kana-kanji) conversion.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]