Subject: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:09:44 +0900

>>>>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:21:11 -0500, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> said:

> It still leaves open the question of whether it would be desirable
> to shortcut this so that pressing ^ in the Gnus summary immediately
> calls the Gnus command, without having to press a subsequent SPC.

Besides a matter of taste, the marked text (corresponding to preedit
in XIM) is not necessarily identical to the pressed key (e.g.,
Japanese input methods).

>> Also, the difference in the code length shows how the Cocoa/GNUstep
>> port oversimplifies the whole text input processing: it doesn't
>> respect attributes in the marked text (which corresponds to text
>> properties) or the selected range value.

> I don't know what is "the marked text" nor what is "the selected
> range value".

They are in the Cocoa NSTextInput terminology.  The "marked text"
corresponds to "preedit" in XIM as above or "active input" in Carbon
TSM.  I don't know why the Cocoa/GNUstep port call it "working text".
The "selected range" represents the caret position in the marked text.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]