Subject: Re: bug#2375: 23.0.90; ^ in gnus summary buffer does not work in the nextstep build

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 10:21:11 -0500

>> I get the impression that it ends up behaving like the current
>> ns-win.el code (i.e. nothing is run after ^, but the Gnus command is
>> called after ^+SPC), except that it displays a "^" in the Gnus
>> buffer rather than signalling an error.  Is that right?
> That's right.  But I don't think the difference is so unimportant with
> respect to the current issue.

I never use dead keys like those, so I wouldn't know [a US keyboard plus
a compose key is all I need, plus the TeX input method, of course ;-)].
But I'll happily believe you.
It still leaves open the question of whether it would be desirable to
shortcut this so that pressing ^ in the Gnus summary immediately calls
the Gnus command, without having to press a subsequent SPC.

> Also, the difference in the code length shows how the Cocoa/GNUstep
> port oversimplifies the whole text input processing: it doesn't
> respect attributes in the marked text (which corresponds to text
> properties) or the selected range value.

I don't know what is "the marked text" nor what is "the selected range
value".

        Stefan