Subject: bug#23749: 24.3.50; can't make the cursor to the end of a buffer when that buffer is visible

From: Samuel Lê <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 04:01:28 +0200

- run "emacs -Q" from command line.
- split emacs screen (C-x 2)
- on one side open an elisp code (say test.el)
- on the other side put the *scratch* buffer
- in test.el, enter (with-current-buffer "*scratch* (insert "test\n")
(goto-char (point-max)))
- then press C-x e to evaluate that command
- it inserts "test" in *scratch* buffer but doesnt go at the end of the
- buffer.

It works fine when buffer *scratch* is not visible.

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2013-08-17 on debianSam
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.4 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/opt/emacs24'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x b <return> C-x 2 C-x C-f t e s t . <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> t e s t . e l <return> ( w i t h - c u
r r e n t - b u f f e r SPC " * s c r a t c h * " SPC
( i n s e r t SPC " t e s t \ n " ) SPC ( g o t o -
c h a t SPC ( p o i n t m <backspace> - m a x ) ) )
C-x C-e C-x k <return> <S-up> <down> C-k <S-up> C-x
o <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left>
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <backspace>
r C-e C-x C-e <help-echo> M-x r e p o r t M-/ - e m
a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(New file)
Entering debugger...
Mark set [2 times]
198
Auto-saving...
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for `report' found

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils dabbrev help-mode easymenu debug time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)