Subject: Re: bug#23746: 25.0.95; Doc fixes (grammar, typos, clarification)

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:58:27 +0200

On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 16:21:19 -0400 Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > This goes against the rest of the changes, which correctly made the
>>> > opposite replacement.  I see no reason to make the opposite change
>>> > here.
>>>
>>> I don't understand what you mean; the changes in that hunk are strictly
>>> grammatical corrections (underlined).
>>
>> Yes.  They are just backwards: "may wish telling" => "may wish to tell".
>>
>
> As a native English speaker, "your Lisp program may wish telling the
> process" sounds obviously incorrect (though I'm not sure how to
> explain why in terms of grammatical rules). Whereas, "your Lisp
> program may wish to tell the process" is correct.

That's one argument for this change; another is the statistical one
based on the existing Emacs documentation:

steve@rosalinde:/data/steve/git/emacs> grep -r " wish to " doc/ | wc -l
196
steve@rosalinde:/data/steve/git/emacs> grep -r " wish [a-z]*ing " doc/
doc/lispref/processes.texi:may wish telling the process the dimensions

Eli, does this persuade you to accept this change too?

Steve Berman