Subject: bug#23724: 25.0.94; ediff-patch-buffer doesn't handle -p3 `ediff-patch-options' option

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 23:37:18 -0400

Hi,

        I cannot seem to pass a specific patch obtion to
        `ediff-patch-buffer'.

        I set `ediff-patch-options' to "-p3".

        I have a patch that when invoking `ediff-patch-buffer'
        via:

           Tools->Apply Patch->To a Buffer

        gets me the error message:

           patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.

        However, when using the following from the command line:

           patch --verbose -p3 < /tmp/G1.patch

        it works, as expected.

        The patch is a unified diff, if it matters and I am using
        GNU patch 2.7.5.

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-05-18 built on copr-builder-587584625.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  cursor-sensor-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Scoring...done
Sorting threads...done
Generating summary...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug sendmail gnus-dup sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color
url-util url-parse url-vars shr-color color shr seq dom subr-x
browse-url mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml
disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder
network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap nntp gnus-cache pp epa-file epa derived auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
gnus-spec gnus-win cl-extra nnimap cl-seq nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source message cl-macs dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
parse-time tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo gnus gnus-ems wid-edit cl gv
nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 262862 67457)
 (symbols 48 122591 0)
 (miscs 40 101 405)
 (strings 32 93292 13906)
 (string-bytes 1 3486493)
 (vectors 16 23991)
 (vector-slots 8 648461 18351)
 (floats 8 547 890)
 (intervals 56 1424 69)
 (buffers 976 34)
 (heap 1024 50762 519230))