Subject: Re: bug#23723: patch-shebang phase breaks symlinks

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 21:37:55 +0200

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> skribis:

[...]

>> Also, seeing as my experience with the stat utility and similarly styled
>> programming libraries was lacking, I decided to play around with the
>> definition of `list-of-files': It actually does include symlinks, as
>> (stat:type (stat "some-symlinked-file")) gives us a plain old 'regular.
>> Looking into this a bit more, it seems that calling `stat' gives the
>> exact same results on both the linked-to-file and the symlink to that
>> file.
>>
>> For the particular problem I ran into to be fixed, it is imperative that
>> `list-of-files' of `patch-shebangs' includes the symlink; it does after
>> all need to be patched. The way this patching currently happens just
>> clobbers symlinks.
>
> My bad, indeed, ‘list-of-files’ should use ‘lstat’ instead of ‘stat’.

This was fixed some time ago in core-updates by commit
c13a9feb5b64fd819eaed38a17da0284bbe2b8d9; closing this bug!

Ludo’.