Subject: bug#23722: 24.5; Problem of displaying arabic font in dired mode

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 00:02:17 +0000

I use "dired" mode; some file and directory names are in Arabic. I did
not have any problem. All of the sudden, just few days ago (probably
after an update), the Arabic names of the files and directory are shown
as garbage.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-06-04 on juergen
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Dired/name

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-dired-mode: t
  auto-revert-mode: t
  openwith-mode: t
  dired-async-mode: t
  ido-grid-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  smartparens-global-mode: t
  smartparens-global-strict-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  guide-key-mode: t
  pdf-occur-dired-minor-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  image-diredx-async-mode: t
  dired-hide-details-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/loadpath/pdftools.el (source)...done
Loading /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/loadpath/eimp.el (source)...done
Loading /home/wyousef/.emacs.d/loadpath/init-smartparens.el (source)...done
Loading /home/wyousef/Downloads/AAProgramsAA/sage-7.0/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/sage-mode/sage-load.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/loadpath/ps-mule hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/ps-mule
~/.emacs.d/loadpath/subr-x hides /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/emacs-lisp/subr-x

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
gnus-dired autorevert filenotify sage-view sage-mode apropos find-func
sage-compat python-el-fgallina-expansions smartparens-python python json
sage sage-load reftex reftex-vars magic-latex-buffer iimage
smartparens-latex tex-mode dired-tar openwith dired-async cl-macs async
help-mode dired+ image-file dired-x dired-aux ido-grid-mode ido bbdb
bbdb-site timezone impatient-mode htmlize cl gv simple-httpd url-util
bash-completion tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell
pcomplete delsel ffap url-parse auth-source gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars expand-region text-mode-expansions
er-basic-expansions expand-region-core expand-region-custom
smartparens-config smartparens thingatpt paren guide-key s ucs-normalize
popwin dash re-builder eimp easy-mmode pdftools pdf-occur ibuf-ext
ibuffer tablist tablist-filter semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent
semantic/wisent/wisent semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core mode-local cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile comint ansi-color cus-edit
cus-start cus-load wid-edit pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache
pdf-info tq pdf-util image-mode smart-mode-line-dark-theme
smart-mode-line-light-theme smart-mode-line mule-util rich-minority
faff-theme winner ring edmacro kmacro tex-site bash-completion-autoloads
bbdb--autoloads bbdb-csv-import-autoloads image-dired+ image-dired
format-spec dired advice help-fns cl-loaddefs cl-lib log4e-autoloads
openwith-autoloads pcsv-autoloads professional-theme-autoloads rx
w3-autoloads info easymenu package epg-config server time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 438833 38457)
 (symbols 48 40073 0)
 (miscs 40 506 202)
 (strings 32 97272 37299)
 (string-bytes 1 2601639)
 (vectors 16 55538)
 (vector-slots 8 1139517 13496)
 (floats 8 216 557)
 (intervals 56 1219 309)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 54292 2617))