Subject: Re: bug#23709: 24.5; inhibit-eol-conversion breaks archive-7z-summarize

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 19:10:16 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 11:56:20 -0400
> 
> > If there are good reasons for setting this variable globally, let's
> > hear them.  I'm not aware of any use patterns which would require
> > that.
> 
> It's a customizable user option. It seems perfectly valid to me to set
> it globally, for the reasons given in the manual:
> 
>   some people prefer this to the more subtle '(DOS)' end-of-line type
>   indication near the left edge of the mode line
> 
> I've had it set in my own .emacs for years, as it happens.

Doesn't sound like good reasons to me, sorry.  I'm guessing this
variable was made a defcustom under pressure from people who didn't
want to see "(DOS)".  Me, I just modified the indicator to be just a
single backslash.

You are shooting yourself in the foot if you set this globally.  Of
course, Emacs users should be free to do that, as part of their
freedom, but we don't need to bother "fixing" such use cases by
binding the variable in every place where its being non-nil could
break standard features.