Subject: Re: bug#23709: 24.5; inhibit-eol-conversion breaks archive-7z-summarize

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 11:56:20 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Why is the OP setting this variable to begin with?
>
> I think that a user who sets this variable, as opposed to let-binding
> it for a single operation, is shooting themselves in the foot.  This
> is not how this variable is supposed to be used.  Just don't do that.
> Any solution we would try to invent for this is going to bite us
> somewhere.
>
> If there are good reasons for setting this variable globally, let's
> hear them.  I'm not aware of any use patterns which would require
> that.

It's a customizable user option. It seems perfectly valid to me to set
it globally, for the reasons given in the manual:

  some people prefer this to the more subtle '(DOS)' end-of-line type
  indication near the left edge of the mode line

I've had it set in my own .emacs for years, as it happens.