Subject: bug#23703: 25.0.50; auto-saving painful

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 23:07:55 -0400

I visited three files in a read-only directory and decrypted each one.
When it came time for an autosave, that was impossible.

When auto-save can't write the auto-save file, it waits a long time
so the user can see the message.  With three such files, Emacs waited
three times that long, and there was no way I could interrupt it.

This is the intended behavior, but it is a screw.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.23)
 of 2016-05-30 on freetop
Repository revision: 79a169684dfad2c0bbb9fdbae539c1f30d9f0ac3
System Description:	Trisquel GNU/Linux 7.0, Belenos

Configured using:
 `configure 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Buffer Menu

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...
Auto-saving out-63: Opening output file: Permission denied, /home/rms/inout/z482/#out-63#
Quit
Auto-saving...
Auto-saving out-63: Opening output file: Permission denied, /home/rms/inout/z482/#out-63#
Quit
Auto-saving...
Auto-saving out-63: Opening output file: Permission denied, /home/rms/inout/z482/#out-63#
Auto-saving out-62: Opening output file: Permission denied, /home/rms/inout/z482/#out-62#
Auto-saving out-61: Opening output file: Permission denied, /home/rms/inout/z482/#out-61#

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug parse-time vc-cvs vc vc-dispatcher sgml-mode skeleton
grep compile easy-mmode rx jka-compr mailcap tmm pcmpl-unix shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring quail epa-mail url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq
cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util password-cache url-vars
shr-color color shr dom subr-x browse-url rmailsum misearch
multi-isearch dabbrev mailalias rmailout rmailkwd epa derived epg qp
rmailmm message sendmail format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231
rmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils dired t-mouse view
time-date paren cus-start advice package easymenu epg-config mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind gfilenotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 325085 70132)
 (symbols 24 24378 0)
 (miscs 20 1326 2699)
 (strings 16 38299 16700)
 (string-bytes 1 1179461)
 (vectors 8 25006)
 (vector-slots 4 1322473 42914)
 (floats 8 416 573)
 (intervals 28 48277 1139)
 (buffers 520 60)
 (heap 1024 15440 1477))
[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (gnu.org, fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (internethalloffame.org)
Skype: No way! See stallman.org/skype.html.