Subject: bug#23689: Daemon-mode on Windows - "w32-initialized" is set too early

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:47:20 +0300

> From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:26:40 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 2. If I have to define a fontset using the name of a font that's on
> the system, how do I obtain such a font name in a cross-platform way?

I suggested a way of doing that in my previous message.

> Am I allowed to reuse the font name that was used for the default
> fontset?

Sure, why not?

> So - to summarise. There seems to be a lot of complexity here, in
> achieving what feels like it ought to be a pretty straightforward
> requirement.

It's not straightforward, it's pretty advanced stuff.  Most users
don't mess with fontsets, and if they want to customize fonts, they
know their favorite fonts in advance.

> On the other hand, there's clearly some issues around the idea of a
> hook that runs "once the display system is ready" - spacemacs'
> current hack has problems, and so does any alternative approach I've
> tried. But if there genuinely isn't a good hook we can use (and no
> likelihood of one being added) then I guess I have to live with
> that.

The problem is that "hook that runs once the display system is ready"
is not well defined.  "The display system" includes several
components, and the order and timing of their setup do not necessarily
fit your specific needs.

> I do appreciate all of the help you've given - and I completely
> respect the fact that you don't want to get sucked into what's
> essentially a spacemacs issue. But if you have any further suggestions
> on how something like this *should* be handled, I'd appreciate them.

Sorry, I don't know enough about spacemacs to tell anything else.