Subject: bug#23689: Daemon-mode on Windows - "w32-initialized" is set too early

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 05:33:42 +0300

> From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:55:57 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Sounds like a perfect use case for a fontset: create a fontset from
> > all those fonts, and then use the name of that fontset as the value of
> > the 'font' parameter in default-frame-alist.  Emacs will look up the
> > fonts in the font set one by one until it finds one it can use.
> 
> Hmm. Are they cross-platform?

Yes.

> The "Defining fontsets" page in the Emacs manual talks about X
> resouces.

X resources are supported on Windows as well, but that's unrelated.
Look in the ELisp manual, not in the user manual.  There are many
examples in fontset.el for you to use.

> I'm on Windows, and I don't know how I'd set up an X resource there.

You don't need X resources to create a fontset.  Use
create-fontset-from-fontset-spec to create a new fontset, and
set-fontset-font to add fonts to the fontset.

> To give a concrete example, how would I ask Emacs to choose the first
> of "Source Code Pro-12", "DevaVu Sans Mono-12", "Consolas-12" or
> "Courier New-12" that was present on the machine?

Make a fontset that includes all these fonts, and then use the fontset
name in the default-frame-alist's 'font' parameter.