Subject: Re: bug#23689: Daemon-mode on Windows - "w32-initialized" is set too early

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 20:55:57 +0100

On 14 June 2016 at 19:55, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> The user supplies a *list* of fonts. The code then goes through those
>> fonts in turn, checking (via find-font) whether the font exists, and
>> if it does, then sets it as the frame font and adds it to
>> default-frame-alist for the future.
>>
>> The point here is for users who want to move their config between
>> machines, and don't always have the same fonts installed - so they
>> would typically put their preferred font first in the list, with
>> fallback options following.
>
> Sounds like a perfect use case for a fontset: create a fontset from
> all those fonts, and then use the name of that fontset as the value of
> the 'font' parameter in default-frame-alist.  Emacs will look up the
> fonts in the font set one by one until it finds one it can use.

Hmm. Are they cross-platform? The "Defining fontsets" page in the
Emacs manual talks about X resouces. I'm on Windows, and I don't know
how I'd set up an X resource there.

To give a concrete example, how would I ask Emacs to choose the first
of "Source Code Pro-12", "DevaVu Sans Mono-12", "Consolas-12" or
"Courier New-12" that was present on the machine?

Thanks,
Paul