Subject: Re: bug#23689: Daemon-mode on Windows - "w32-initialized" is set too early

From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 16:17:45 +0100

On 4 June 2016 at 16:01, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If spacemacs has a way to run code when the first GUI frame is
> created, why cannot it do everything at that time?  Why does it have
> to test the above conditions on top of that?
[...]
> I think spacemacs should not rely on the other FOO-initialized
> variables, either, even if they appear to work for now.  They are not
> intended to serve as evidence or trigger for any application-level
> logic.  Instead, it should do this in a hook function (make-frame
> provides at least 2).
[...]
> That "window-system initialized" automatically implies that find-font
> will work is IMO an invalid assumption.  Exactly what parts of the
> initialization are run in FOO-initialize functions is implementation
> detail.  I recommend to stay away of such assumption and instead use
> the hooks we provide during startup.  Even if you come to the
> conclusion that no existing hook serves spacemacs well enough, and we
> then (say) add yet another hook, the result will be cleaner than
> relying on semi-documented variables and undocumented assumptions.

OK. Thanks for the explanation. I'll report back to the spacemacs
people. For now, I have a functioning workaround (checking if
(font-family-list) is non-nil) that will do for the moment. Longer
term, I can't judge why spacemacs splits the initialisation like this,
but I'll ask the question.

Paul