Subject: Re: bug#23674: 25.0.93; Daemon mode on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2016 11:54:44 +0300

> Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 10:19:55 +0100
> From: Paul Moore <[email-masked]>
> 
> Daemon mode on Windows (initialised by calling "emacs --daemon") starts
> up Emacs with a frame running on a non-GUI terminal.

As Glenn points out, this is how things work on all platforms.

> Because Emacs is started with only a non-GUI terminal, GUI functions
> such as find-font do not work as expected, so it's not possible to
> configure GUI settings from init.el without complex workarounds (e.g.
> deferring font selection until a GUI frame is open).

I see nothing wrong with those workarounds.  In addition, you can set
default-frame-alist as well.

> Few packages seem to expect this situation (for example, Spacemacs
> and Powerline), and as a result configuration does not work as
> expected.

Please ask the developers of those packages to adapt them to the
daemon mode.

Thanks.