Subject: 25.0.94; make-network-process crash

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 07:12:42 -0400

Hi,

        While testing `make-network-process' from the example
        given in bug#23658, Emacs crashed.

0. emacs -Q

1. Evaluate the following elisp:

   (progn
     (defun my-sentinel (proc event)
       (with-current-buffer "*scratch*"
         (save-excursion
           (goto-char (point-max))
           (insert (format "\n>> proc = '%s', status = '%s', event = '%s'"
                           proc (process-status proc) event)))))

     (defun my-filter (proc str)
       (with-current-buffer "*scratch*"
         (save-excursion
           (goto-char (point-max))
           (insert (format "\n>> proc = '%s', status = '%s', str = '%s'"
                           proc (process-status proc) str)))))

     ;; These IP addresses are both for host rajaniemi.freenode.net.
     (let* ((ipv6-host "2001:708:40:2001:a822:baff:fec4:2428")
            (ipv4-host "195.148.124.79")
            (process (make-network-process :name "zzz"
                                           :buffer nil
                                           :host ipv6-host
                                           ;; :host ipv4-host
                                           :service 6667
                                           :nowait t)))
       (set-process-sentinel process 'my-sentinel)
       (set-process-filter process 'my-filter)))

You should get the error:

Wrong type argument: processp, nil

      However, in my Emacs session I had:

2. (setq debug-on-error t)

   which made the Emacs session crash.

   The crash doesn't happen with an IPV4 addresses, just IPV6 addresses.

Thanks.

Backtrace:
emacs[0x50b18c]
emacs[0x4f185c]
emacs[0x509e4e]
emacs[0x50a075]
emacs[0x50a0df]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0x109f0)[0x7f9b2e2679f0]
emacs[0x58160b]
emacs[0x582fba]
emacs[0x56446b]
emacs[0x5666f6]
emacs[0x59bd83]
emacs[0x5664eb]
emacs[0x59bd83]
emacs[0x5664eb]
emacs[0x567900]
emacs[0x567b3c]
emacs[0x567cdc]
emacs[0x566cbb]
emacs[0x566df9]
emacs[0x56734a]
emacs[0x550764]
emacs[0x59ff0d]
emacs[0x565b68]
emacs[0x56890d]
emacs[0x565ac1]
emacs[0x586b70]
emacs[0x589f0f]
emacs[0x58ae51]
emacs[0x5666aa]
emacs[0x56215a]
emacs[0x5665f7]
emacs[0x562b7f]
emacs[0x5666d4]
emacs[0x59bd83]
emacs[0x5664eb]
emacs[0x59bd83]
emacs[0x5664eb]
emacs[0x56215a]
emacs[0x5665f7]
emacs[0x567900]
emacs[0x5624e5]
...

In GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-05-18 built on copr-builder-587584625.novalocal
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11799901
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Are you sure you want to quit reading news? (y or n) y
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc...done
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Saving file /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/liveuser/.newsrc.eld...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug pp mailalias smtpmail sendmail thingatpt eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func shr-color color gnus-dup sort
gnus-cite smiley ansi-color shr dom subr-x browse-url mail-extr
gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nndoc mm-archive timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls
gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars
json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode
sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 202285 38513)
 (symbols 48 32038 165)
 (miscs 40 91 380)
 (strings 32 50826 16196)
 (string-bytes 1 1642834)
 (vectors 16 25909)
 (vector-slots 8 615567 17970)
 (floats 8 574 1017)
 (intervals 56 459 29)
 (buffers 976 35)
 (heap 1024 46281 32480))