Subject: bug#23649: 24.5; `customize-mode'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 14:40:58 -0700 (PDT)

The doc string is incorrect:

1. It says, "If a prefix C-u was given..."

   Besides the fact that we write `C-u', not C-u, this is wrong because
   it suggests that the prefix arg must be a plain `C-u', that you
   cannot, for example, use `M-9', `C--', or even `C-u 3'.  It should
   just say "If a prefix arg is given..."

2. It is not true that the options you get are related to the current
   major mode, or even to any major mode.

   It would be OK to say this as a first line, if the rest of the doc
   string made clear that the options can be related to a minor mode,
   that is, MODE can name a minor, not just a major mode.

   What the doc should say is that it customizes options related to
   MODE, which can name a major or a minor mode, and that by default
   MODE is the current major mode.

   (This also takes care of specifying the argument and thus behavior
   when called from Lisp, something missing from the doc string now.)

   Example mode-string, corrected:

   "Customize options related to a major or minor mode.
By default the current major mode is used.
With a prefix argument or if the current major mode has no known group,
you are prompted for the MODE to customize."

3. The prompt is thus incorrect as well: the candidates are not
   necessarily major-mode names.  It should just say "Mode: ".

See also bugs #11299 and #11301, which have not been addressed.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'