Subject: bug#23620: 25.0.94; url-retrieve fails on localhost

From: Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 11:55:27 -0300

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> I'm not observing this problem on my platform (Fedora 23 x86-64, local
> web server is sthttpd).
>[...]
> perhaps your webserver isn't set up properly?

Indeed, I just tested with a different server project I have here and
there was no problem, so it seems to be specific to how this server is
configured.

However, I wouldn't go as far as to say the server is MISconfigured.
Like I said, it works fine with curl, wget, webrowsers, and any other
means I tried. Only url-retrieve failed on it.
Does anyone know how we could look further into it?

> I do see the problem if I attempt to connect to a non-webserver
> attached to a local TCP port (in my case, port 943 attached to sshd);

In my case it's just a rails server started with:
    bundle exec rails server -p 5100

> But that situation looks like Bug#20159, i.e., user error not a bug in
> url-retrieve. Its callbacks are supposed to check status, not merely
> call 'message' willy-nilly.

I used that callback simply to point out the 111 error code. The problem
here is that the request the fails, not how the user handles the failure.