Subject: Re: bug#23618: Some filenotify tests fail with extra "changed" events

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 11:24:01 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Glenn,

> Package: emacs
> Version: 25.0.94
> Severity: minor
>
> Some filenotify tests have failed for some time (always?) for me on RHEL 7.2.
> Finally a report about it. In the past I've only ever seen one extra
> "changed", never the silly number the following log includes! :)

Hard to say something about without debugging. Due to the nature of file
notification events, those `changed' events could appear from anywhere.

As you might imagine, I cannot reproduce the problems locally. Also
hydra does not report about.

The only exception is `file-notify-test08-watched-file-in-watched-dir-remote',
which has failed here as well. The remote `gvfs-monitor-dir' library is
a little bit fickle.

We have done some work in the master branch, which is not contained in
the emacs-25 branch. I don't see any problem running the tests in the
master branch. Do you see the problems also in the master branch?

It might be also interesting to know whether the failed tests appear
also during an ordinary "make check". I suppose you have applied "make
-C test/automated file-notify-tests", which runs the expensive tests.

> PS as you can see from the log, these tests took ~ 15 minutes to run.

Yes. The expensive tests contain tests with a looooot of events, because
some of the problems have appeared only in stress situations. On my
6-years-old laptop, running Ubuntu 16.04, the tests take ~12 minutes.

Best regards, Michael.