Subject: Re: bug#23609: 25.0.92; Python eldoc freeze

From: Jules Tamagnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 10:52:43 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please don't add this bug to the list of those which block 25.1
> without discussing that here first.  I explained why I think it
> shouldn't block the release; if you have counter-arguments, let's
> talk.
>
> Thanks.

I didn't, but I do think that something should be done before the
release. If somebody opens up emacs for the first time in 25.1 and
decides to try using python and then it doesn't work and keeps freezing,
I don't think many people would be willing to debug their issue in a
completely different environment than what they're used to when they
could simply use a different editor that works out of the box. Emacs is
already seen as not very user friendly compared to other (inferior)
editors such as atom and sublime and If we have such a glaring bug in
one of the most popular language modes then that reflects badly on emacs
as a whole.

I'll try and fix this bug suitably beforehand because I do think that it
should be blocking.

Why was global-eldoc mode turned on by default anyways?

thanks