Subject: Re: bug#23605: /dev/urandom not seeded across reboots

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 22:53:08 +0200

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Please find my latest patch attached. It seems to work for me!

\o/

> From 18979451b1af7eebaa354c1753ad4c90af288589 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 13:41:21 -0400
> Subject: [PATCH] services: Add urandom-seed-service.

Add “Fixes <http://bugs.gnu.org/23605>.”

> * gnu/services/base.scm (urandom-seed-service): New procedure.
> (%random-seed-file, urandom-seed-service-type): New variables.
> (%urandom-seed-shepherd-service): New procedure.

Mention the addition to ‘%base-services’ too.

> * doc/guix.texi (Base Services): Document it.

[...]

> +@deftp {Data Type} %random-seed-file

Should be:

  @defvr {Scheme Variable} %random-seed-file

> +This is where some random bytes are saved by @var{urandom-seed-service}

s/This is where/This is the name of the file where/

> +to seed @file{/dev/urandom} when rebooting.

Maybe add “It defaults to @file{/var/run/…}.”

OK with these changes.

Thanks a lot!

Ludo’.